Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Random Musings # 1

This will be a series of blogs where I will react, bitch, whine, etc. about many number of things.

R.I.P. Heath Ledger
















After the death of Brad Renfro, yet another young actor died before his time. Heath Ledger whose career at this point was JUST beginning to flourish has tragically died at the age of 28. He had an Oscar nomination (for Brokeback Mountain) under his belt and a huge blockbuster movie (The Dark Knight) coming up this summer. He is just reaching his peak when he was tragically taken away. He is, in fact, one of the best actors of his generation. His death was completely shocking since unlike Brad Renfro, I had no idea he had drug or alcohol problems of any kind. Like Brad, he is a true talent and he will be missed.



Oscar Nominations







On the brighter side, the Oscar nominations have been announced. I haven't seen ANY of the Best Picture nominees, believe it or not. They haven't been released in my country yet. Odd, I think this is the first year this ever happened. I usually have seen at least one or two by now. Anyway, I'm just glad Johnny Depp managed to get in for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. It's one of my favorite movies of the year and it didn't do well wth the precursor awards so I was worried it would get shutout of the major categories. I'm glad it did well. Kudos too for Amy Ryan who was simply incredible as the white trash mom in Gone Baby Gone. I wish that film would've gotten more nominations. I am, however, disappointed Amy Adams did not get in for her fantastic star-making work in Enchanted.

No comments: