1. The Angry Lurker asks: What is your favorite piece of film music/song and why?
This is an excellent question. So excellent in fact, I won't answer this question here. Within the week I shall devote two posts on my Top 5 favorite film scores and my Top 5 favorite film songs. Watch out for them!
2. Mark asks: What would you say is the most well-known movie you've worked with?
We've done a lot of famous movies. The most recent one is, I'm guessing, the Blu-Ray release of Sling Blade and the Region 2 release of 30 Minutes or Less and commentaries for Attack the Block.
3. My 2 Pesos asks: Does God exist?
I don't know but I believe He does.
4. Bersercules asks: What if you are proof reading a comedy's subtitle and one of the jokes in it is a play on words that doesn't translate to english and the subtitle that's there is a funny substitute but inacurate? Do you leave it in or do you go for a more acurate but unfunny subtitle?
Most of my work involves English-English subtitling/close captioning and very little translating, really. However, this issue would arrive if let's say the punchline or joke is too long for the required protocol. I would have to try and shorten it without losing the essence of the line and the funniness of the joke.
Although I did once work for a TV network where they had to have one of their comedy shows subtitled for submission for an international awards organization (The Asian TV Awards) so I had to translate the lines and try as much as I can to maintain the humor of it. I'm Filipino and oftentimes, Filipino humor is very untranslatable. But fortunately, I have a very Western sense of humor so I was able to translate whatever humor is there in the subtitling.
5. George Anderson asks: What is the purpose of you writing this post?
What is the purpose of you asking this question?
6. That Bastard from Bellingham asks: How did you come to learn English?
Filipinos are English speakers since the Americans colonized our country for nearly half the 20th Century. English is actually my FIRST language. My mom and dad thought it would be an academic advantage for me to have English as a first language.
That's all the questions. Feel free to ask me any questions on the comments below.