Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cinemanila Film Festival Reviews # 3


I Saw The Devil (Kim Jee-woon) ***1/2 - When a sadistic serial killer murders the fiance of a trained secret agent, the latter goes on a violent revenge plot. It's part-horror film, part-revenge action thriller and it works very, very well together. The film takes you for a largely unpredictable ride and shifts genres and tones with ease and without being jarring. The violence is shocking and cringe-inducing but mostly quite effective and justified. The actor from Old Boy plays the serial killer and quite effective too. I think I like this better than the other film.


Red State (Kevin Smith) **1/2 - There are lots of things to like about Smith's thinly veiled assault on Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. But there are also a lot of flaws. It's clear that Kevin Smith has a lot to say about the subject but none of it really deep and penetrating. One thing I do love about this film is Michael Parks' performance as the fire-and-brimstone preacher Abin Cooper. It's worth seeing the film just for his 15-minute sermon right in the middle of it.

9 comments:

A said...

Definitely want to check out both of these.

The Angry Lurker said...

I saw the devil stands out for me.

Mark said...

The guy from Oldboy? I'd probably check it out for that.

Sub-Radar-Mike said...

Whoa, that cover is right about it being unexpectedly Kevin Smith... that's a bit of a far cry from Clerks haha

jerzey72 said...

Can't wait to see them.

anonblog said...

awesome movies, +follow (:

My 2 Pesos said...

Red State sound good.

Interwebs Fails said...

Good films.

Bersercules said...

Both sound like movies I'll have to check out! I like Kevin Smith movies!