Monday, January 2, 2012

Weekly Round-Up (12/25/11 - 12/31/11)

First post of the year. Sorry for the delay.


Das Boot (Wolfgang Petersen) ***1/2 - This is one of those films which I never seem to get around seeing due to the length (almost 3.5 hours). As it turns out, it's a remarkable piece of filmmaking, The film is epic in its scope but also very often claustrophobic. The intense action scenes is even made more intense by the fact that a lot of the men are allowed to become characters and we get to know them. The cinematography and film editing here are both wondrous. A bit overhyped sure but still a very solid, highly recommended film despite the length


Divorce American Style (Budd Yorkin) *** - This is a funny case. It's clearly dated. It's got a few good chuckles but never laugh out loud funny. It's kind of a shallow little trifle that tries to say something important but never really takes flight. Despite of that, I still liked it because this is the case where the actors really take flight with the material. Dick Van Dyke, Debbie Reynolds, Jason Robards, Jean Simmons, etc. give it their all and I really had fun watching them.
 

Army of Shadows (Jean Pierre Melville) ***1/2 - I've seen tons of World War II movies. This one focuses on the French Resistance and it's a pretty damn good one. The film's slow and methodical and violence is minimal (but startling when it happens onscreen) but filled with tension and suspense all throughout. The cast is great especially Simone Signoret. I think the film would've been totally outstanding if they had focused on her character a bit more. But as it is, it's still a pretty excellent film though La Samourai still remains my favorite Jean Pierre Melville film.
 

Playtime (Jacques Tati) **** - (see below) 


7 comments:

Outcast said...

Don't worry about the delay man, it's fine. Das Boot sounds awesome, especially after your review so I might end up checking that out. Have a great year buddy, hope it's a good one for you!

Mark said...

I've heard of Das Boot but didn't know it was that long. I think the length would put me off.

Anonymous said...

Such a long film!

MRanthrope said...

looks like you ended the year right!

BragonDorn said...

Army of Shadows was amazing! Just saw it last week :P

Cranky and Difficult said...

Das Boot is one of my all time favorites. This is such a great blog! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I've heard of Das Boot, I always wanted to watch as I'm a huge fan of U-boats both in the Atlantic as well as the Pacific.