Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Great Scenes # 48: Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)

Directed by Werner Herzog

Aguirre, Wrath of God is stunning piece of cinema. I highly suggest that you go see it first before watching the climactic ending scenes of this film. It tells the story of a Spanish conquistador trying to find the legendary lost city of El Dorado. This insane story is only matched by the behind-the-scenes drama where, it's been said, at one point Werner Herzog had to point a gun at Klaus Kinsky in order to make him stay on the set. All that insanity and tension off-screen probably contributed to the brilliance of the film on-screen. A truly extraordinary film.

2 comments:

Outcast said...

It sounds so interesting from reading your description mate that I find myself wanting to watch the film in whole first so I've decided to bookmark this page and go back to it later, thanks for sharing buddy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Filmgeekbastard,

I came across your blog and enjoyed your post.

We are inviting a select few contributors to Moviepilot, and would love to add you as a contributor. This would mean more recognition for your work due to the large community we already have here on Moviepilot, with 2 million visitors a month and 11 million fans on Facebook. We'd love to have you onboard, so let me know and we can get you set up.

You can find more information at: http://moviepilot.com/contribute and feel free to let me know if you have any questions, you can contact me at lucia[at]moviepilot[dot]com.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,
Lucia