Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Great Scenes # 3: Suspiria (1977)

The First Murder

Directed by Dario Argento

Suspiria is widely considered to be Dario Argento's masterpiece and one of the must-see films in Italian horror cinema, or giallo. I consider myself pretty jaded when it comes to most horror films and am kind of annoyed by cheap jump scares. This scene, no matter how many times I watch it, still gives me chills. It's both shocking and horrifying yet oddly very beautiful as well, thanks to the brilliant set design and cinematography filled with vivid colors which both heighten both the beauty and horror at the same time. It will make you both wanna cover your eyes and watch it all at once The great score by the Italian progressive rock band Goblin adds an extra layer of scares. Watch it. If you dare.


15 comments:

Bart said...

i just use water, and that scene was mighty cheezy

DS said...

looks really arty i always rage at horrors though lol

Anonymous said...

I really want to watch this movie!!

Bersercules said...

I'm gonna check this movie out! It looks really good!

Ting Kubby said...

I love this movie but i think Profondo rosso is better.

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

Using her face to smash the window... intense.

Thomas Duder, Author of the Things said...

DAYUM! This is one to keep an eye out for...

Simon black said...

Looks like an interesting film, sad that non-american movies don't get as much recognition as they might deserve. Will try to look into this movie thanks for the tip.

Sylar said...

this movie looks good
nice post
+follow

msmariah said...

I need to just go ahead and finally watch this one. I've heard this is one of Argento's best.

Kamatacci said...

This really is one of the most beautiful scenes in film history. Horror movies today can learn a thing from this: Color!

Jessica Thompson said...

Haha loving it!

Someone said...

omg this post blew my mind man. blllewwww it

boundless moment

i_love_weed said...

looks terrrible

A said...

Haha yes. I just saw this film for the first time a couple months ago. It was very colorful. In more ways than one.