Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekly Round-Up (11/11/12 - 11/17/12)

My cinema viewing is restricted due to the fact that Breaking Dawn Part 2 is clogging up most of the theaters.

The White Ribbon (Michael Haneke) **** - Michael Haneke is definitely one of my favorite directors currently working today. He makes films that disturb and shock you but will also stay with you for days and really make you think. This is no exception. A series of mysterious "accidents" plague a rural German village at the dawn of the 20th century pre-World War I. The film shot in stark black & white eschews sensationalism and traditional narrative for a more subtle approach which can sink into your psyche far more effectively than conventional methods. Indeed, the film may seem slow and slight but the implications of it all is disturbing and thought-provoking. It's not my favorite Haneke (Cache still holds that honor) but the film still have everything I love and admire about his filmmaking. Oh, boy. I'm gonna be thinking about this movie again for days

2 comments:

Outcast said...

I quite simply loved Cache so this is one that I feel implored to check out man, it sounds that good. Is it safe to say that we won't be reading a Breaking Dawn 2 review soon? If not I'm sure all of us here understand haha.

Adam said...

I saw breaking dawn 2 today with my girlfriend, and I have to say it's quite amazing that Stewart is more human as a vampire than a human.