Friday, April 6, 2012

The Great Scenes # 28: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Gollum/Smeagol Monologue
Directed by Peter Jackson

The Lord of the Rings trilogy contains a lot of spectacular battle scenes but I think one of my favorite scenes in the trilogy is a dialogue-driven scene involving the character of Gollum/Smeagol. It is a tour-de-force in both acting and CGI effects. Few CGI characters in live-action films have required and achieved the depth and characterization that Andy Serkis and the team at WETA digital have done with the character of Gollum. The first time I saw this, I completely forgot that it was a CGI creation. Andy Serkis was buzzed as a possible Best Supporting Actor contender for this.

6 comments:

YeamieWaffles said...

I'm with you so much on this man, Gollum is a seriously complex, great villain, the guy is awesome.

John Doe said...

The Golum was the best character in that series.. Thanks for sharing.

Mark said...

That was an epic moment, and a good look into Smeagol/Gollum. Inside he wasn't all that bad, and it gave him a whole new level of depth.

G said...

He was awesome and so well acted/cgi'd

That Bastard From Bellingham said...

I won't lie, I actually hated the idea of a CGI Gollum. I remember the cartoon version of The Ring and the LoTR saga, and at the time I was a staunch hater of the Peter Jackson movies.

I still dislike his fat ass, but now it's not for this trilogy!

This scene alone, amongst others, is what brought me around - just...awesome. AWESOME. So fucking amazing, the skill and ability is undeniable!

WOODLOUSE said...

Yes it was a great part of the film!