Sunday, August 26, 2012

Weekly Round-Up (8/19/12 - 8/25/12)

NOTE: This will probably be my last blogpost in at least five or six days. I'm going on vacation out of the country and I probably won't have time to write some entries until then. 

L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni) **** - It's one of the major classics in world cinema. I've seen this quite sometime ago and I revisited it this week. A young woman mysteriously disappears from a yacht trip and her best friend and her boyfriend slowly but surely fall in love as they search for her. The film is definitely not for everybody. It's leisurely paced and the resolution may anger some but the beauty and artistry of the film is a must-see for any serious film lover.

The Red Shoes (Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger) **** - Yet another classic of world cinema revisited this week. There are some movies that are so perfect that for an aspiring filmmaker and screenwriter like yours truly, it can become so frustrating since you go, "THAT RIGHT THERE. PERFECTION! HOW CAN I COMPETE WITH THAT? WHAT'S THE POINT?" This compelling, beautiful tale of a ballerina torn between her art and her man is a stunningly perfect film to behold.

The Expendables 2 (Simon West) ** - I didn't see the first one. But I saw this one out of a combination of boredom and the fact that it got somewhat decent reviews. I didn't expect this to be any other than big, dumb, over-the-top violent action and that's what it was but still, I was kind of meh about all the proceedings. Although this one has some cheeky moments, the action wasn't enough to wow me even though they obviously tried hard. It's entertaining enough but disposable and not quite the movie it wanted to be.

Hope Springs (David Frankel) *** - On paper, this sounds like a terrible idea: A middle-aged couple go into an intensive couples' therapy to remedy their stagnant, passionless marriage. But, surprise, surprise, thanks to the acting talents and good chemistry between Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, the potentially dull, trite, been-there-done-that premise flies and becomes a very nice delightful dramedy. It's really a refreshing remedy to all the high-octane adolescent franchise action pictures of the summer.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Well enjoy your vacation and I'll see you when you get back. Someone recently told me Expendables 2 was great but I didn't have much hope for it.

Outcast said...

I had been told that the Expendables 2 was really good but on the basis of your review it's exactly what I thought it would be, have a great vacation away too dude you deserve it, have a good one man.

G said...

Hope you have a good trip.