Thursday, August 2, 2012

Sight & Sound Top Films 2012

Sight & Sound magazine recently released its once-a-decade list of ten best films voted on by both film critics and filmmakers. This particular time, however, there is a big surprise in the list. Alfred Hitchcock's romantic-thriller Vertigo has displaced Citizen Kane as the number one best film. The latter film has held on to that top spot for over 40 years. The rest of the list are pretty standard stuff, strong films which every film critic, cinephile and filmmaker should have seen by now. Personally, I think Vertigo is an excellent film but it's nowhere near my Top 10. It's not even my favorite Hitchcock film. Notorious, Rear Window and Psycho are ahead of it. But still, it's nice to see a bit of variety in these lists. Here's the Top 10:

The Critics’ Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time
Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
Tokyo Story (Yasujiro Ozu, 1953)
La Règle du jeu (Jean Renoir, 1939)
Sunrise: a Song for Two Humans (F.W. Murnau, 1927)
2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
The Searchers (John Ford, 1956)
Man with a Movie Camera (Vertov, 1929)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1927)
8 ½ (Federico Fellini, 1963)

3 comments:

Outcast said...

I've only ever seen Vertigo and A Space Odyssey but if these other films are as good as them then they must all be awesome! I still prefer Rope when it comes to Hitchcock but I'm just glad to see the king make this list.

Mark said...

I feel bad that I don't think I've seen any of those.

G said...

For me Citizen Kane is still king...