Friday, August 2, 2013

The Great Scenes # 55: The Bells of St. Mary's (1942)

Directed by Leo McCarey

 This is a vastly underrated classic. It's a sequel to the Best Picture Oscar winner Going My Way and is largely overlooked and dismissed as such. But personally, I think it's way better than Going My Way and the scene above illustrates that. In this film, the kindly priest played by Bing Crosby goes to a school ran by nuns led by Ingrid Bergman. A lot of people were surprised that Ingrid Bergman got her Best Actress nomination for this film and NOT for Casablanca but if you saw the film, you'd see that she deserves it for this as well. In this scene, upon the advise of Crosby's character, she takes it upon herself to teach a bullied young boy to box so he can defend himself. I have to say it's one of the most endearing scenes ever captured on film.

1 comment:

Outcast said...

This is brilliant man. Never seen or heard of this film before but I love the theme.