Monday, May 28, 2012

Weekly Round-Up (5/20/12 - 5/26/12)

The Artist (Michel Hazanavicius) **** - I wanted to see this film for the first time on the big screen theatrically. I wait and I wait. It doesn't look like it's gonna happen. So I thought, fuck it, I'll just see the damn thing on DVD. However, I made a promise to myself that I will see it on the big screen again if I like it enough. I'm happy to say that I do really like it enough that I would definitely see this again should there be a theatrical run. I can see how it won Best Picture. This is a (mostly) silent film made in the style of the classic silent films. However, it never feels like a gimmick because the story feels like it should be told this way. It's very lovingly made and superbly acted by the two leads. As a lover of film, I smiled throughout most of it. This is a very worthy Best Picture winner, I must say (even though I like two of the nominees a little better). Gotta love that Uggie the Dog though.

Men in Black 3 (Barry Sonnenfeld) *** - This movie was a very pleasant surprise. It really shouldn't be good. I mean, I'm a fan of the first one which was a really fun romp. The second one was was really kind of blah. When I heard that there's gonna be a third one, I thought it was joke and expected the worst. Well, surprise, surprise, it's actually kind of good. It's not as good as the first one of course, but the crazy alien shenanigans work. Josh Brolin is terrific. He does a good job channeling Tommy Lee Jones yet is able to give an actual performance beyond just a impersonation.

4 comments:

Adam said...

I agree a bit with the 2nd one, it was good but not so much as the original

Outcast said...

Men and Black 3 sounds pretty good to me, I'll need to check that one out when I can.

Mark said...

I'm glad MIB 3 turned out to be alright. I had the feeling it wouldn't be very good. It seemed like something that was made because they thought "Hey, it's been a while since there was a Men In Black movie."

DWei said...

Huh, maybe I will go see Men in Black 3 then.