Sunday, July 8, 2012

Weekly Round-Up (7/1/12 - 7/7/12)

Rango (Gore Verbinski) ***1/2 - This is actually my second time watching this film. I saw the extended version on my recently purchased Blu-ray disc. It is beautiful to look at and is still a great film. I love the fact that it manages to create likeable, adorable characters out of ugly creatures.


Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Timur Bekmambetov) **1/2 - This film has some good moments. But they're not enough to compensate the rest of the film which is quite a bit of a mess. It's an inherently goofy premise: Abraham Lincoln, president of the United States is actually a vampire hunter. The film plays it straight like an alternate history. But the director doesn't have the chops to keep the tone consistent and the result is some dull, uninspired moments. The performances are pretty good so it's a pity. There's some unrealized potential there.

3 comments:

Outcast said...

The title of that Abraham Lincoln film makes it sound like it's the sort of film you'd see billed as a "SyFy Original," and see on television at like midnight and I had to be practically dragged kicking and screaming by my friends yet despite that I quite enjoyed it. It's not the sort of film I'd ever watch again but despite it's ridiculous premise it had it's moments.

Rango sounds pretty good and I really have to watch it. I think that it's recorded on our Sky Plus and I need to make it my mission to view it.

Adam said...

I loled hard when I saw the title on some poster at the theater. Haven't seen it yet.

Mark said...

My only problem with Abraham Lincoln; Vampire Hunter is that I think there are some people who are stupid enough to think it's based on a true story.