Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Great Films # 8: La Jetee (1961) (R.I.P. Chris Marker)

The director of this film, Chris Marker, died this week at the age of 91. He is one of the biggest names in avant-garde cinema and French cinema. La Jetee is one of his most famous works. It's an extraordinary, one of a kind film that tells the tale of a time-traveler trying to prevent a nuclear holocaust from happening told almost entirely through black & white still pictures (except for one shot, see if you can spot it!) and poetic narration. It blew me away and taught me about the power almost purely visual cinema. If the plot sounds familiar, it's because the Terry Gilliam film 12 Monkeys starring Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt is based on this extraordinary film. R.I.P. Chris Marker. 

3 comments:

Outcast said...

The premise of this sounds incredible man, I've got to check this out in honour of the guy. Rest in peace Chris Marker.

The Angry Lurker said...

Apologies as I've never heard of it but I will give it a google!

Mark said...

That was really good, and quite incredible of him to only use still pictures and words.