Friday, October 7, 2011

The Great Scenes # 10: Rome, Open City (1945)

Pina's Death

Directed by Roberto Rossellini

Yes, this is spoiling the film a bit but it's more emotional and shocking if you see the context of this scene in the film. Rome, Open City was made at the tail end of World War II. It focuses on resistance fighters standing up against the Nazis. The Italian neorealist film, directed by Roberto Rossellini is one of the best films made on the subject. In this scene, Anna Magnani plays Pina, one of the said resistance fighters as she chases after her husband who was captured but is gunned down in front of her son and her priest. It's a brief scene but it's shocking and emotional all at once.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shocking. :(

Anonymous said...

I don't want to watch this video, I better watch the whole movie. :)

Bart said...

never even knew this movie existed

Outcast said...

This is a great scene. I've got to watch this as soon as possible, never heard of it before.

my day in a sentence said...

Looks like a good movie.

Damon said...

nice scene :D

Bersercules said...

I liked the scene, I might have to watch the movie!