Sunday, October 9, 2011

Weekly Round Up (10/2/11 - 10/8/11)

Warrior (Gavin O'Connor) ***1/2 - I've said it once and I'll say it again: I'm not a sports fan. That's why I'm always kind of wary when it comes to sports movies. Thankfully, this is one of the good ones. The sport this time around is mixed martial arts but apart from that, the plot is pretty generic and the script is deeply flawed. However, the outstanding performances of Joel Edgerton, Tom Hardy and ESPECIALLY Nick Nolte lifts up the flawed material and turns it into a truly compelling drama.

Bridesmaids (Paul Feig) *** - Like some Judd Apatow productions, this movie is a bit overlong for a comedy at a little over two hours. Though that is a flaw, the film still has a very healthy dose of laughs. The cast is good (give or take Rose Byrne) especially Melissa McCarthy. Kristen Wiig's character gets irritating every now and then but I guess that's intentional. This movie has been called the female Hangover. I disagree. I think it's somewhat better (though I consider it good, not great).

Friends with Benefits (Will Gluck) **1/2 - If this was better than No Strings Attached, I probably wouldn't wanna see No Strings Attached. Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis are both suitably charming and the supporting cast is pretty strong (especially Patricia Clarkson and Woody Harrelson) but the film itself, despite being pretty slickly made, is pretty meh in the plot department. It's kind of ironic that the characters make fun of rom-com tropes early in the movie, only to fall into it later on. It's an entertaining enough time-killer but nothing more than that.

17 comments:

Outcast said...

Thanks for the weekly round up once again buddy. Warrior sounds like it's must see despite being a sports movie, Bridesmaids is apparently hilarious if you're a chick and Friends with Benefits is apparently pretty funny so I'll need to check out at least two of these (I'll probably give Bridesmaids a miss.) Nice post as usual man.

Mark said...

I find comedies should be about an hour and a half. Like most movies. You might find yourself wishing it was longer, but when it is longer, you find yourself wishing it was shorter.

Unknown said...

nice reviews mate, i've just started writing my reviews on movies and tv shows too. though mine are pointless. pointlesscritics.blogspot.com keep it up!

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

Never understood why Friends With Benefits was necessary...

Arion said...

I guess Warrior is the only one there that I find of some interest.

DWei said...

Bridesmaids was really, really good. I wish my girlfriend had been less busy when it was showing in theaters.

Ante Babaja said...

you write great reviews :)

Anonymous said...

Good reviews. :D

Adam said...

I've heard bridesmaids is actually kinda good too

neatfit said...

Yep, bridesmaid is quite good, I liked it. This post was interesting too :)

Anonymous said...

Wanna watch them.

Bersercules said...

Thanks for the reviews. I'm gonna avoid these movies. They don't sound like my kind of thing!

my day in a sentence said...

I've seen Bridesmaids. I actually laughed a couple of times. So, yeah, it's better than Hangover.

Bob said...

MMA movie? I'll have to put that one on my to watch list.

I'm asking for a second time now.. what is your rating scale with those stars? Like what's the max? 5?

A said...

Didn't expect warrior to be that good, it's cool to hear that it actually isn't bad.

msmariah said...

I keep hearing good things about Warrior. I hate those UFC commercials so I passed on this, but if it's really this good I may have to check it out.

Film Geek Bastard said...

@Bob: It's a 4-star scale.