Sunday, October 30, 2011

Weekly Round-Up (10/23/11 - 10/29/11)

Z (Costa-Gavras) **** - Someone recommended that I blind-buy this during the Barnes & Noble Criterion DVD sale. I'm glad I did. It's an amazing film. It's intended to be a bold-faced indictment on the situation of the Greek government at that time but it's still very much relevant today. This film will thrill you, intrigue you and also has the power to get you mad, no matter what your politics are. Great performances by the cast, amazing editing and cinematography.


Itim (Mike de Leon) **** - The title literally means "black" but the English language title is "Rites of May". This is yet another great film from director Mike de Leon, who's already one of my favorite directors EVER. This one's about a magazine photographer who visits his invalid dad in his rural hometown and he connects with this young woman whose older sister disappeared and thought dead years before. It's actually a horror film of sorts, well, more like a drama with supernatural overtones. This is his first feature and already a master at pulling off great performances and taking time to build his story in a masterful way that pays off in the end (the big reveal of what really connects the photographer and the young woman).

Puss in Boots (Chris Miller) *** - It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the Shrek franchise but admittedly I do love the Puss in Boots character and is the best part of Shrek 2. His spin-off movie proves to be the best Shrek related thing I've ever seen so far (or at least among those I bothered seeing). It's not a masterpiece, far from it in fact, but it is very entertaining and the pandering snark which pretty much ruins the Shrek franchise as well as most of Dreamworks' early animated films is at a minimum.

14 comments:

Adam said...

I'm not much of a Shrek fan but Puss In Boots might be worth a shot for me

Anonymous said...

Want to see that puss.

Anonymous said...

Gotta watch that Itim.

Gizmo said...

I might watch it, thx for recommendation :P

lowfrequencies said...

stoked been looking for a decent film blog for time now!

Simon black said...

I'll be sure to check it out, thanks for the tip.

Outcast said...

I definitely want to see Puss in Boots, I had no idea it was out already! Looking forward to a trip to the movies to see this very soon, maybe even this week.

Bob said...

That Greek movie sounds interesting.

I've also never cared for Shrek too much. I've never found the PIB character interesting either.

Movies on my Mind said...

I saw PUSS. I fell asleep.

DWei said...

Ehhh... I really don't want to go and watch Puss in Boots. They're really trying too hard to milk the franchise now.

Bersercules said...

Z sounds like a movie I should check out! Thanks!

Someone said...

not sure how i feel about any of these

A said...

Not sure about puss. I've been meaning to watch Z for ages.

msmariah said...

I thought I was the only one who hated Shrek. I don't understand why everyone loves those movies. Puss in Boots is great. I did like him. I also liked the ginger bread man, but that was it.